But network order does not ring as relevant in my ears for this particular
usage.

Thinking along lines of memory model, you once faced the decision of having a
64 or 32 bit size for Rexx objects, and I remember the discussion on the list
in which we (iirc) all were in favor of 64 bitness and did not realize this
meant something for compatibility with RexxSAA. Without wanting to return to
that discussion, I would like to pose as an hypothetical a model in which we
can address the full address space but limit the pointers to the objects to 32
bits - or 31 in a particular environment that I have in mind.

Would that be at least thinkable? (Well thunkable - to insert the obvious OS/2
in-joke here).

best regards,

René.