Hi Erich,

you bring up a good point there. If we want to make images, we should know the
type of VM, or are there VM-indepent images nowadays? I see a lot of options in
VirtualBox, which I use (after using Parallels earlier and Virtual PC before
that), but I do not know if they really work.

There is also Vagrant and Docker. Docker is en vogue but I have understood that
they are meant for microservices and not really to move OS-images, which
Vagrant can do.

For ooRexx we need the minimally viable building environment on a image. Making
a table what that is, precisely, is one of the things for this weekend, but we
can assume cmake 3.2.3 and gcc 4.8 here. As with NetRexx, building the
documents is quite a different and more involved activity - here I still yearn
for the days that I could do all my work, being programming, configuring,
installing and making documents, with Assembler H - it is a macro assembler:
who needs more tools?

Windows is a special case, because it has no sshd, does have a license, and no
useful way to install tools over a remote session except RDP and being admin.
This might improve with Windows 10, but we are not there yet.

Jenkins can work with Windows machines, but I need to do this first to know the
details. It would be great if someone who can build already on Windows can take
over this burden - so we at least have the job to run, before we select a
machine for it.

I will ask our Treasurer to buy a Windows Server license if needed, but at the
moment I think it wlll be better of if someone has a running box in his home or
company. There are Amazon (and others, I know) Windows Images for rent; we
might use the free tiers of several cloud companies successively.

I cc: Tom because he knows way more about VM’s and Vagrant than I do, and maybe
has some better suggestions.

best regards,

René.