The only reason for having sudo privileges is to install the plist into
/Library/LaunchDaemons

The only reason for having sudo privileges when starting by hand the rxapi
thing is to write /var/run/ooRexx.pid

I just run a VERY quick and dirty test changing
rexxapi/server/platform/unix/linux/APIService.cpp to write to /tmp/ooRexx.pid

And at first glance everything seems to run smoothly
Naturally more research and test is needed but …
it looks possible to install and use rexx without sudo privileges,
I will research a bit more and let You know

Cheers

Enrico

PS

The change is really simple

In /opt/ooRexx.alt/rexxapi/server/platform/unix/linux/APIService.cpp

Just change the first
#define OOREXX_PIDFILE "/var/run/ooRexx.pid”
#define OOREXX_PIDFILE "/tmp/ooRexx.pid"