Hello Rick

The official answer fo macOS  semaphores
Is to use Grand Central Dispatch's dispatch_semaphore_t.

If You google with dispatch_semaphore_t
You will find quite a few examples

Or … very dumb suggestion
Since it seems that named semaphores are still supported
Why not use under the covers  a named semaphore with a dummy name
As I said… it might be a dumb suggestion