Dear P.O.,

On 08.01.2019 17:17, P.O. Jonsson wrote:
>> Am 08.01.2019 um 17:10 schrieb Rony G. Flatscher <rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at
>> <mailto:rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at>>:
>>
>> O.K, Enrico's definitions work like a charm!
>> :)
>>
>> Ad multiple RPATHs: this works as well, one needs to separate the paths with
>> a semi-colon, not with
>> a colon, though. However, thinking about it in the meantime, this would not
>> be really helpful on
>> Unix based systems, although Windows users might be happy. :) The reason
>> being that probably all
>> Unix-based builds will have a "bin" and a "lib" directory as siblings.
>>
>> Enrico's definitions should also work when installing to /usr/local as the
>> executables land in
>> /usr/local/bin and locating their libs is "../lib" hence "/usr/local/lib“.
>
> I would strongly advice against installing directly into /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/lib. Rather
> installing into /usr/local/oorexx5.0.0 (/bin,/lib etc) and Symlink all files
> into /usr/local/bin
> etc. This is what all other installations do. Out of 215 files in /bin 211
> are symlinks, not
> executables.

this depends on the installation philosophy. :)

Unlike you and René I use macports which installs into "/opt/local" (and its
subdirectories "bin",
"lib", "include", "man", "share",  etc., nowadays.

Homebrew, I understand, installs like you suggest.

mvim (the Mac version of vi improved) installs into /usr/local, etc.

No matter which philosophy one follows the "@executable_path/../lib" in the
binaries RPATH will
allow rexx to locate its libraries in its sibling "lib" directory.

The BSF4ooRexx installation installs, as you know, according to Apple's
installation
recommendations, hence Framework and Application bundles are used there. The
binaries in this
environment are then symbolically linked to /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib.
Thinking of this
scenario it actually may make sense to have an additional RPATH defined in this
case (speculating
that the system will resolve the symbolic path e.g. "/usr/local/bin/rexx ->
/Library/Frameworks/ooRexx.framework/Commands/rexx" for which its libraries are
located in
"@executable_path/../Libraries"). Will test and report back, whether this would
really be necessary.

---rony