If one supplies a filename on Windows as a command, then Windows will edit the supplied file with the registered editor.

For html files this is the default browser. Entering merely the following file names in a command line window and pressing return after each one, will cause each html file to be loaded and displayed in the default browser:

 * submitInput.html
 * "submit input.html"
 * "submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_172034.html"

Note the usage of quotes around the last two file names which make this work for these file names in a Windows command line window.

---

Having a Rexx program that gives the following commands does not always work:

 * address system "submit input.html"
     o does not work, yields a Windows error (because command is not quoted):
       'submit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
       operable program or batch file.

 * address system """submit input.html"""
     o works

However, it seems that if the filename contains parentheses address supplies
the wrong data.

 * address system """submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_172034.html"""
     o does not work, yields the same Windows error althoug the command got
quoted:
       'submitInput_' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
       operable program or batch file.

Using the filename without the parentheses, but e.g. space instead, works:

 * address system address system """submitInput_ ibm-search9
_20220505_172034.html"""
     o works

---

So something goes wrong when a command containing parentheses is used in this
case.

Here a trace i output:

       133 *-* address system qu(fn)
           >V>   FN => "submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_174548.html"
           >A>   "submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_174548.html"
           >F>   QU => ""submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_174548.html""
           >>>   "*"*submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_174548.html*"*"
   'submitInput_' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
   operable program or batch file.
       134 *-* trace n

The routine qu() encloses the file name in double quotes. The file exists, one can manually get Windows to load it by doing a copy and paste of the quoted command:

   "submitInput_(ibm-search9)_20220505_174548.html"

However, address does not work in this case, so something seems to go wrong passing that particular command on to Windows.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, hence asking before filing a bug.

---rony