On 22.04.2024 18:02, ooRexx wrote:
On 22. Apr 2024, at 16:54, Rony G. Flatscher <rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at> wrote:

On 22.04.2024 15:24, ooRexx wrote:

... cut ...

AFAICT these are meant to initially match the release versions. In the case that minor changes are applied to a released version and a minor release is intended, then the changes should go to branches. Once a release gets created from branches the new release would carry the version 4.2.1 in your example.

Indeed. As I understand the release process in the past  /branches/4,2/trunk is where working copy for 4.2.0 resided. Once that was copied to /releases/4.2.0/trunk it was changed to be the working copy for 4.2.1 and so on. This is not how it was done for 5.0.0, leading to all kinds of complications.

AFAIR there were no complications because of that, there was a request/demand to create a branch for 5.0.0.

Compare to / branches/4.1 that served as the working copy for the release of
4.1.0 4.1.1 4.1.2 4.1.3

What I am asking is if we should not do it this way for 5.1.0, i.e. create a /branches/5.1/trunk with the release candidate (when there is a release candidate...) and

Maybe a branch 5.1.0 should get created once the release process starts, representing the release candidate. All the code, docs and tests from trunk should be there as well.

do the necessary documentation updates there and THEN move it to releases?

It depends what kind of documentation: the normal documentation for ooRexx should be already at the state of the release (candidate).

Maybe creating the documentation without any beta in the release version should be created off it there and maybe the release documentation like changes.txt and the like should be done there as well. Is that would you mean?

But before creating the branch please consult the developer list a few days before that step, such that work in progress for the release can be finalized and added to trunk, if necessary.

HTH

---rony