On Sun, 16 Jun 2024, at 13:42, Gilbert Barmwater wrote:
> But it doesn't close the file.  And there is no way to close it after
> that statement since there is no reference to the stream object.  Now,
> in most cases, not closing the stream is not a problem as ooRexx will do
> it when the program ends.  But if you need to access the same file again
> later in the program, having the stream still open is problematic, no?

Does the single-liner approach also allow one to cope with not being
able to open the file in the first place?

Maybe I'm too wedded to traditional methods?  Test if opening the
stream worked, decide what to do if it failed, then if it worked go on
to read/write the data, finally close it.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.