Jayaraj,

We did this fairly recently - migrated a 1.6.x system to an existing 2.2 system that already had 2 libraries sharing it.

Our method was to export the bibliographic and holdings information using Cataloging > MARC Batch Import/Export in the staff client. We output patron records using the report module.

Once we had that information we were able to follow (more or less) the steps outlined here:
http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/1.6/draft/html/migratingdata.html

Regards,
Justin