Hi Rogan,

Sorry to be late in getting you feedback on this, but I just wanted to send along a vote of support for the idea of offering bug bounties. I think it's a great idea!

I think it should be limited to true bugs and not be used for wishlist bugs. I know there are plenty of bugs to tackle that are more than a year old, but, when working in two-releases per year cycle, I'm thinking bugs become old much sooner than that. Maybe six month or even less? I generally have found that if a bug doesn't receive some kind of attention in the first three months (attention being questions, confirmation, lots of "me too"s etc.), it is likely to be one of those bugs that ends up gathering dust. I think it's important that we give bugs a chance to get community attention before offering a bounty. Six months seems like it would be more than sufficient.

some would say it doesn't weigh importance of more recent bugs (and that's true).

I think it was me who said that. :) Overall, I would say targeting the older bugs is important. However, as with anything, I think there are exceptions. The specific bug I had in mind was https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1187993 which is related to an accessibility issue in the catalog when autosuggest is enabled. I see this bug as an exception because I believe accessibility is something the community should be supporting/striving for in any way we can. Perhaps there are/will be other unique cases out there where priority will take precedence.

In any case, if the community decides to move forward with this, I would be willing to volunteer to help work out the details. We might not come up with the perfect system, but, whatever happens, it should lead to some fixes for issues that have been frustrating people.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
(508) 343-0128