Dan, thanks a lot for your clarification! I has been very helpful for us!

Linda

On 10/04/2014 06:56 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM, skolk...@upcmail.cz <mailto:skolk...@upcmail.cz> <skolk...@chello.cz <mailto:skolk...@chello.cz>> wrote:

    Hi,

    Here in the Czech Republic we are just considering a pilot project
    for a simple consortium of two libraries (so far, in our country
    there are only single plantings). However, the two libraries would
    be two separate legal entities and we need to ensure patron data
    privacy.

    At this moment it seems that the easiest way would be to make sure
    that the two libraries would not share their patrons (meaning that
    one library would not see the other library's patrons). Can
    Evergreen cope with this? And if so, how exactly?

    Or is it necessary to make such legal arrangements that would
    enable the two libraries share data about their patrons?

    Thank you in advance for sharing any ideas or links pointing to
    some hints regarding this issue!

There are some settings for "patron opt-in" in Evergreen that prevent easy access to patron info from other libraries. The idea is that staff at library 1 should not be able to search for a patron at library 2 by their name or other attributes until that patron presents their barcode at library 1 and agrees to share their information with library 1. We use this approach in our consortium to minimize unnecessary exposure of patron data at different branches.

There doesn't appear to be anything about the patron opt-in settings in the official docs, but http://docs.sitka.bclibraries.ca/Sitka/current/html/searching-patrons.html has a screenshot showing what staff see when a user from a different library presents their card at a library to which they have not yet opted in to sharing their information.

That said, anyone with the ability to create reports can easily create a report which extracts all user information for all libraries, and there are some points where information leakage can occur (for example, I think you can see borrowers from other libraries on an item's circulation history). So it's not a completely airtight solution by any means, but it is suitable for some setups.

Ultimately, however, if you don't want to share patron info at all across libraries, the only way to do that is to have separate Evergreen instances.