On 01/16/2015 03:21 PM, Walz, Jennifer wrote:
All -

  If anyone wants to see how our previous ILS catalog did the call number
browse:

http://library.asbury.edu/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?ps=PMnTOlJylx/AC/270510061/61/78/X

Unfortunately, it looks like your previous ILS catalog didn't support permalinks. I can't see the call number display from that link.

   Is it possible to recreate something similar in Evergreen?   And make it
better of course!
Sure, anything's possible. Having discussions like this one is a great way to get consensus around a shared vision. As with anything in open-source software, of course, it helps if you have a developer who is willing to work on the shared vision or the funds to hire a developer.

For what it's worth, MassLNC got a quote to implement this - http://masslnc.cwmars.org/node/2590 - a couple of years ago, but decided not to implement it. I would be willing to share the details of the quote with anyone who is interested in implementing it, but, by this time, I'm sure the numbers in it have expired.

Have a nice weekend!

Kathy

And for other examples:
http://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/browse?callNumber=ps+32&format=list&callNumberSearch=true
    Here is a collection of eight of them:
http://musingsaboutlibrarianship.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-survey-of-library-virtual-shelves-8.html#.VLlvtsm8-Xg

  And here is one that I am completely fascinated with and would love to replicate somehow:
https://lucas.liberty.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?&bibId=159387&searchId=1026&recPointer=7&recCount=10
    I realize that they are probably using the virtual shelf representation from Library Thing.
 That is not what is cool.   Scroll to the very bottom of the screen and there is a little link
for an image of the actual book location on a map.   The blue highlighted region / shelf on the
map is where the book is.   Nice.

  Surely we can do this!   The shelf browse at least.     But let's start with
a simple call number list first.  :-)

Thanks!

Jennifer
Jennifer Walz, MLS - Head of ILS craziness
Kinlaw Library
Asbury University
1 Macklem Drive, Wilmore, KY 40390
859-858-3511 ext. 2269