On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:29:43PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> What was the reason for adding the block device name to the block symlink
> if this symlink already provides this name?

I find it useful when doing this:

 find /sys/class/iscsi_session/session*/device/ -name block:* | sed 's/.*:/'

And I can get all of the block disks names without have to read the link(s).

> It probably breaks everything that uses this block path directly to find
> out the device it is pointing to.

Not sure what you mean. This sysfs structure has been in existence for some
time (since 2.0-754)
so code written to use this format is not broken.

I would think that code that uses the block device would be using the
/sys/block/sdX interface instead?