Konrad Rzeszutek schrieb:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 06:07:12AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek wrote:
>>> It looks like the network is off but the session is still running. We
>>> eventually get to the kernel shutoff here. Is your init script getting
>>> run? If not then run it. If you left the session on on purpose then you
>>> cannot turn the network off because the scsi layer will want to do its
>>> shutdown when the kernel is stopped.
>> Ah. Thanks for the explanation. The init script was run, but it didn't
>> logoff of all the sessions (it would selectivly logoff instead of doing
>> all of them).
>
> After I made sure that 'iscsiadm -m session -U all' was called during shutdown
> a QA engineer here was able to make the 'iscsiadm' hang during this sequence.
>
> The result was that some of the iSCSI sessions did log-out while some other
> did not,
> and the machine hanged during the "Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk .."

I didn't follow the thread very closely, but a hang during
"Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk" happens because:

- iSCSI sessions were not properly disconnected, and
- they can't be properly disconnected any more, because the network is
already disabled.

Most distributions shut down all network interfaces when a "halt"
command is started (i.e., they add "-i" option to the halt command):

     -i: shut down all network interfaces.

Without this flag, everything should shut down properly, even when it's
not possible to logout all sessions earlier (i.e., a diskless machine
started off iSCSI).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org