Hello,
thanks for quick reply. During weekend I did backups on the iscsi-device
with not one single error on kernel 2.6.22.
Am Freitag, den 13.06.2008, 19:11 +0200 schrieb Mike Christie:
> Michael Kindermann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We receive errors below on a standard debian lenny/testing sytem since
> kernelupdate from 2.6.22-3-686 to latest debian-kernel 2.6.24-3-686. The
> iscsi-device is Eonstore E16A-2130.
> > The open-iscsi deb package is 2.0.869.2-2. When we use the older kernel
> the errors disappear. Errors only happen during copying on the
> iscsi-devices.
> > Is this behaviour a debian specific problem and I have to compile
> open-scsi?
> >

> > Jun 13 14:32:30 hg2 kernel:  connection1:0: iscsi: detected conn error
> (1011)
> > Jun 13 14:32:31 hg2 iscsid: Kernel reported iSCSI connection 1:0 error
> (1011) state (3)
> > Jun 13 14:32:41 hg2 kernel: iscsi: host reset succeeded
>
> The READs or WRITEs from the copy operations are timing out. The SCSI
> layer sets a timer on each command which is probably the default of 60
> seconds (scsi layer sets to 30 and udev normal raises this to 60). If
> the command does not complete in that time it starts the scsi error
> handler and you end up getting these errors in the worst case where we
> cannot just abort and restart the command or reset the device.
>
> Are you copying to the iscsi device or from it (and are you then copying
> to to/from a non-iscsi device), or is it mixed?

These errors posted earlier resulting from simply copying a dvdimage
from a local logical volume on SATA-Drives to a logical volume on the
iscsi-device. Normal usage is to do backups by rsync (dirvish) to this
device, which are very slow due to timeouts (normal rsync linux backups
via ssh and the windows-filesystems by local rsyncing cifs-mounts).
Results stay the same. The errors only happen when copying to the
iscsi-device. Restoring of data from iscsi to local volumes works great
without errors on the 2.6.24 -Kernel.

Another effect is backups are slow and no keyboard interaction is
possible during these timeouts.

> When you were using 2.6.22-3-686, were you also using the open-iscsi deb
> package 2.0.869.2-2 or was it a older version.
We just boot from the former 2.6.22 -Kernel.

dpkg -l |grep iscsi
ii  open-iscsi                                2.0.869.2-2

> On the broken setup could you run
>
> iscsiadm -m session -P 3
>
> and send all the output?
iscsiadm -m session -P 3
iSCSI Transport Class version 2.0-724
iscsiadm version 2.0-869
Target: iqn.2002-10.com.infortrend:raid.sn7457154.20
        Current Portal: 192.168.7.227:3260,1
        Persistent Portal: 192.168.7.227:3260,1
                **********
                Interface:
                **********
                Iface Name: default
                Iface Transport: tcp
                Iface Initiatorname:
iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01.b75ebc4b5f99
                Iface IPaddress: 192.168.7.2
                Iface HWaddress: default
                Iface Netdev: default
                SID: 1
                iSCSI Connection State: LOGGED IN
                iSCSI Session State: Unknown
                Internal iscsid Session State: NO CHANGE
                ************************
                Negotiated iSCSI params:
                ************************
                HeaderDigest: None
                DataDigest: None
                MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 131072
                MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 65536
                FirstBurstLength: 65536
                MaxBurstLength: 262144
                ImmediateData: Yes
                InitialR2T: No
                MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
                ************************
                Attached SCSI devices:
                ************************
                Host Number: 5  State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 0
                        Attached scsi disk sdc          State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 1
                        Attached scsi disk sdd          State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 2
                        Attached scsi disk sde          State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 3
                        Attached scsi disk sdf          State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 4
                        Attached scsi disk sdg          State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 5
                        Attached scsi disk sdh          State: running
                scsi5 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 6
                        Attached scsi disk sdi          State: running

greets
Michael

--
Michael Kindermann