> So my questions:
> - Is there a way to suppress those messages, either in the iscsi programs or
> in multipath?

Yes. Add this in your multipath.conf file:

        #
        device {
                vendor                  "DELL"
                product                 "MD3000i"
                product_blacklist       "Universal Xport"
                features                "1 queue_if_no_path"
                path_grouping_policy    group_by_prio
                hardware_handler        "1 rdac"
                path_checker            rdac
                prio                    "rdac"
                failback                immediate
        }

If you are using a SLES10 SP2 version or the mainline one. I don't know
if the Red Hat version in RHEL5 has been updated to have the 'rdac' path
checker.

> - If that fails, is it possible to tweak multipath in such a way that it
> doesn't check the two failed paths, unless there is no other path available?
> These two paths should become available only if the main controller dies.

The above configuration file does that.