#sudo iscsiadm -m node -T ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0 | grep node.startup
node.startup = automatic

Frak. It worked this time!

#sudo /etc/init.d/open-iscsi stop
 * Disconnecting iSCSI targets
   ...done.
 * Stopping iSCSI initiator service
   ...done.
#sudo /etc/init.d/open-iscsi start
 * Starting iSCSI initiator service iscsid
   ...done.
 * Setting up iSCSI targets

Login session [iface: default, target: ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0, portal: 10.0.0.11,3260]
   ...done.

The only thing I've done since I changed the conf was reboot for some hardware swapping. For reference, after I change the conf I logged out of the target(s) and did a stop/start and it didn't fly. Not sure why the reboot would have effected this, but the service seems to be working as expected now.

Thanks for the help man, sorry it wasn't more of an actual issue :)

Mike Christie wrote:
Ben Lake wrote:
#sudo iscsiadm -m node -L automatic
Login session [iface: default, target: ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0, portal: 10.0.0.11,3260]

Distro: Ubuntu 8.04.01

---- init snippet ----
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/iscsid
ADM=/usr/bin/iscsiadm
PIDFILE=/var/run/iscsid.pid

start() {
        log_daemon_msg "Starting iSCSI initiator service" "iscsid"
        sanitychecks
        modprobe -q iscsi_tcp 2>/dev/null || :
        modprobe -q ib_iser 2>/dev/null || :
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON
        RETVAL=$?
        log_end_msg $RETVAL
        starttargets
}

starttargets() {
        log_daemon_msg "Setting up iSCSI targets"
        echo
        $ADM -m node --loginall=automatic
        log_end_msg 0
}

---- end init snippet ----

#whereis iscsiadm
iscsiadm: /usr/bin/iscsiadm /usr/share/man/man8/iscsiadm.8.gz

Looks like "$ADM -m node --loginall=automatic" is the line being used to login to all the targets, perhaps not quite what we want?

This:
$ADM -m node --loginall=automatic"

is just short for the command I had you run by hand:
iscsiadm -m node -L automatic

What is the output of

iscsiadm -m node -T ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0 | grep node.startup

Mike Christie wrote:
Ben Lake wrote:
How is using the discovery command automatic if I still need to specify all the details for each target?
All I said below is that you can run the command without having to set the startup and it will log in. And I meant it will log in when you run the command. Sorry for bad description.

With the command below you do not have to run the discovery command and the login command. It is helpful for scrtips that just want to log into whatever is found during discovery instead of doing the node db route. A lot of times you have a discovery address where multiple targets with multiple ports are found, so it is useful to see for that type of case. If you have to do discovery for each target then yeah, there is not much point except saving one command.

Anyway, I'm primarily concerned with why, on startup, it does not login when the conf is set to automatic. It spits out the "no records found" message as if it spelled things wrong :) Anything I can do to troubleshoot that?
What distro and init script are you running?

Run

iscsiadm -m node -L automatic

Does that work? If not run it with debugging

iscsiadm -m node -L automatic -d 8

and send all the output.

Mike Christie wrote:
Ben Lake wrote:
Hah! Sometimes all it takes is another set of eyes. Score one for obvious. Thanks Mike.

As far as the automatic login, I did set it in the conf. Then I logged out of the target and restarted the service. It said "Logging into targets" or something similar and then spit out the "no records found" message.

So I assumed my issues were all related. We know that isn't the case :)

You said something about using discovery mode to automatically login?
Not me.

like iscsiadm -m discovery -l? Would that not work regardless of the config setting?
It should. It is
iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p ip -l

Thanks again!

Mike Christie wrote:
Ben Lake wrote:
Hello all,

Before I ask anything I'd like to say thank you to all the devs. I appreciate the existence of your project and your hard work!

Now I've got a little situation which should hopefully be chalked up to my newb status with open-iscsi.

Per the snippet below I can't seem to manually login directly to a single target. Every time I try I get "iscsiadm: no records found!". Whether I use the target name, portal, or both. As you can see I have a discovery entry for the portal, and I have a target entry in the node table. The only way I can login to this target is with a blanket node login. It does work. The other interesting bit is when I set the config to auto connect to all targets on startup, that did _not_ work. So apparently the auto connect doesn't use the blanket node login mechanism or some such. Any thoughts or flames are appreciated :P

Thanks again!

--- snip ---
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m discovery
10.0.0.11:3260 via sendtargets
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m node
10.0.0.11:3260,1 ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0
Normally the name of the target starts with "iqn". A "Q" instead of a "G" like above. Below you use a "Q", which is probably why it is not working. Sometimes you also drop parts of the name.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0 -p 10.0.0.11:3260 -l
If the target has a "G" in the node db, then you need to pass it a "G" here. This has a "Q" in the iqn.

iscsiadm: no records found!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2002-07.com.archose -p
This one will not work because it is misspelled. It is missing the end part ":3t.r5.0", and you need to use a "G" like in the node db.

10.0.0.11:3260 -l
iscsiadm: no records found!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m discovery -P 1
SENDTARGETS:
DiscoveryAddress: 10.0.0.11,3260
    Target: ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0
        Portal: 10.0.0.11:3260,1
           Iface Name: default
iSNS:
No targets found.
STATIC:
No targets found.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m session -P 1
iscsiadm: No active sessions.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2002-07.com.archose -l
This one is just mispelled. No ending.

iscsiadm: no records found!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo iscsiadm -m node -l
Login session [iface: default, target: ign.2002-07.com.archose:3t.r5.0,
See this has a "G". So you need to use a "G" or fix it on the target so it is spelled like how you want.

portal: 10.0.0.11,3260]
For the automatic login, how are you settting the automatic login? By setting it in /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf then running discovery or did you run the iscsiadm in update mode to set the setting? If the latter maybe you had it mispelled so it did not get picked up.