On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Mike Christie <micha...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Erez Zilber wrote:

>>> I think that is what I wanted. I think Erez wants something a little
>>> different, right Erez?
>>
>> I think that it would be nice if we had both:
>> 1. The average delay of a ping request.
>> 2. A list of ping requests that almost timed out with some helpful
>> info (when was the ping sent and how much time until we got a
>> response). With this information, you can understand and debug the
>> whole system: you can check your target and see what caused it to be
>> so slow on that specific time, you can see if your network was very
>> busy during that time etc.
>>

> I think this sounds good to me.

Regrading the average delay of a ping request task - we need to have
the average delay, but we're interested only in the average delay of
pings that were sent lately (i.e. not pings that were sent a year
ago). Am I right?

I thought about having a cyclic array of delays in the kernel. It can
hold the delays of the last X pings (e.g. X = 1000). Whenever the user
runs 'iscsiadm -m session -s', this array will be sent to userspace
and we can calc the average delay/standard deviation/whatever you want
in userland.

Comments?

Erez