Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

I think SFP+ 10 Gbit has 0.6usec latency.. ? 10GBase-T is 2.6 usec.

http://www.mellanox.com/pdf/whitepapers/wp_mellanox_en_Arista.pdf

They are reporting 7+ us latency. ConnectX are a bit better on latency than the Intel NICs.

http://www.ednasia.com/article-24923-solarflarearistanetworkspublishtestreportdemonstratinglowlatencywith10gbe-Asia.html

shows latency, server to server of ~5us. This is about what you expect (and why 10GbE isn't quite to IB capability yet in low latency apps).

I suspect that they really aren't seeing ~1us latencies, but that with some neat tricks, it appears to be this.

Physically, it isn't there. I'd classify this as a "marketing number" (e.g. unachievable in applications that matter). I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but there really isn't much to suggest that I am wrong.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO