On 11/03/2010 08:51 PM, shyam_i...@dell.com wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: open-iscsi@googlegroups.com [mailto:open-is...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Benjamin Li
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:05 PM
To: Mike Christie
Cc: open-iscsi@googlegroups.com; Anish Bhatt; Eddie Wai
Subject: Re: case sensitivity of hardware addresses&  vlan configs

Hi Anish,

For the current the Broadcom solution using VLAN's, we currently have
the use the standard Linux tool, vconfig to create a VLAN interface.
This doesn't give much flexability, so we are working on a solution to
utlize the existing "iface.subnet_mask" and "iface.vlan" fields so that
users can specify multiple VLAN's configurations via multiple ifaces
files.  This way the iSCSI offload solution doesn't have to have any
dependency on the L2 interface.  My colleague Eddie Wai, is working on
this solution.  This is a perfect time to discuss a common solution.

Hi,

Perfect timing indeed. I am presenting a topic which discusses vlan management
for CNAs, offload adapters and NICs in the context of DCB and the various
bridged switching modes that you could apply in a VM to VM configuration here
http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2010/ocw/proposals/843.

We have observed that vlan management is increasingly becoming a challenge
while networking VMs.

I was about to suggest that vconfig could become the defacto tool for vlan
management among different classes of CNAs. But it does sound like we are
moving differently here.

One of the thought is to move vconfig away from /net and thus provide a generic
ioctl interface for vlan management among different class of Ethernet adapters.

You should consider 'ip' and/or netlink api for managing VLANs.  'vconfig'
works, but any new effort is
going to go into the netlink API and 'ip' tools...

Thanks,
Ben

-Shyam Iyer

Adding Eddie to the thread,