On 12/14/2010 03:12 PM, p...@fhri.org wrote:
Hi all...

I have four CentOS 5.4 (2.6.18-164.11.1.el5) servers with iscsid version
2.0-871.  Two are misbehaving despite identical configuration.  They all
connect to Enhance Tech RS8-IP4 array the same way, directly NIC-to-NIC
without a switch, physically separate from LAN.  I created four targets,
one per port, and four separate volumes/LUNs.

Pasted below is the config and error log.  About a minute after a
successful login, the timeouts/errors begin and keep coming constantly
pretty much every minute whenever the session is logged in, regardless
of mount state.  The problematic units are also often very slow logging
in, mounting, even directory listing at times.  Also, they sometimes
time out and remount the fs read-only in the middle of a large backup
run.

There were some fixes to that code in rhel/centos 5.5 kernel, but I do not think that is what you are hitting.

Do you see those ping/nop timeout messages even when you are not doing any IO intensive workload?

Did you setup your initiator names (/etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi) or did you let the tools do this? Does each server have a unique initiator name or do some servers have the same value in that file?

On the target are there any log messsages?

If you set

node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 0
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 0

(either set that in iscsid.conf then rerun the discovery command and relogin or run

iscsiadm -m node -o update -n
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval -v 0

iscsiadm -m node -o update -n
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout -v 0
then relogin)

this will turn off the iscsi nops/pings. Then if run mkfs and do backups, you should not see the ping timeout messages, but do you see low throughout still? Do you still see "conn error 1011" messages but just missing the ping timeout messages?