On 08/19/2013 05:16 AM, Timo Veith wrote:
> Hello open-iscsi members,
>
> could someone give me a hint where to find more about the reason why the
> mentioned iscsi error appears?
>
> We are doing benchmarks with fio and the following errors occurs after
> some time. The monitoring interface of the iscsi target appliance
> suddenly shows no more throughput for about 20secs to 2 minutes. Then
> throughput starts again.
>
> The same errors also appear with a huge database import (postgresql). So
> it is probably not related to fio but more to heavy i/o.
>
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 16 16:47:45 ibs-mngr2 kernel: [80500.790747]  connection15:0:
> detected conn error (1021)
> Aug 16 16:47:46 ibs-mngr2 iscsid: Kernel reported iSCSI connection 15:0
> error (1021 - ISCSI_ERR_SCSI_EH_SESSION_RST: S
> ession was dropped as a result of SCSI error recovery) state (3)
> Aug 16 16:47:49 ibs-mngr2 iscsid: connection15:0 is operational after
> recovery (1 attempts)

The scsi layer sets a timeout for each command. I think the default is
30 or 60 secs in SLES 11. If a command does not complete within that
timeout, the scsi error handler runs. The scsi eh basically calls the
iscsi eh callouts to try and abort commands then restart them. If it
cannot abort them it tries lun and target resets and if those fail we
end up dripping the session and relogging in. So that is what is
happening here.

You are probably sending too many commands to the device. Either the
storage cannot handle them or the connection is too slow or some combo
of both. Since you have 10 gig ethernet it is probably that the device
is too slow. You would want to check your target's logs and see if there
are any errors during this time. If not then lower the queue depth on
the initiator side (see the iscsi node.session.queue_depth and
node.session.cmds_max params) or increase the scsi command timeout via
udev or sysfs (however SUSE reccomends).