Hi Mike and everyone,

This patchset redoes actor.c to use alarm(2) to wake up for expiring
timers instead of needing to wake up 4 times a second. We do not need
fine granularity for these, so computing everything in seconds works
fine and makes the code simpler.

This is based on previous simplification patches by Adam Jackson and
Chris Leech. The last patch in the series is the biggest, and the
diff is messy as a result of refactoring. I'd recommend applying the
series and reviewing the result, rather than reviewing the diff.

This series is also available in this git repo:

https://github.com/agrover/open-iscsi.git actor-rewrite

I have done basic testing and it works for me in basic login/logout
cases. The one interesting thing is that the event loop runs much less
frequently, so reap_proc() may not execute for a while if nothing else
causes poll() to wake up.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy

Adam Jackson (6):
  actor: Mark actor_check static
  actor: simplify actor_check
  actor: s/ACTOR_TICKS/actor_jiffies/
  actor: Remove ACTOR_TICKS_10MS()
  actor: Unobfuscate ACTOR_MAX_LOOPS
  actor: Simplify actor_poll a little

Andy Grover (2):
  Remove actor_init and rename actor_new to actor_init
  Make running actors event-driven

Chris Leech (1):
  actor: Don't wake up poll() on a timeout if we don't need to

 include/list.h   |   6 ++
 usr/Makefile     |   4 +-
 usr/actor.h      |  14 +--
 usr/event_poll.c |  47 +++++++--