On 03/03/2016 03:17 PM, Chris Leech wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:16:45PM +0200, Erez Zilber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running iSCSI boot for RHEL & SUSE nodes. Sometimes, after
>> iscsistart is called, errors on the iSCSI target side occur (e.g. temp
>> network disconnection) and the iSCSI connection is disconnected. In
>> the boot log, it looks like this (on a RHEL node):
>>
>> connection1:0: detected conn error (1020)
>>
>> And then, of course, the node fails to boot.
>>
>> I would expect that iscsid would handle this and reconnect, but I
>> don't see in the boot log that iscsid was started. I also took a look
>> at /usr/share/dracut/modules.d/95iscsi/iscsiroot, but didn't find
>> iscsid there.
>
> No, if the connection fails during boot I don't think it's covered as
> you found out.  Of course if you're booting from iSCSI, a network
> disruption while the iSCSI boot firmware or bootloader is running is
> also probably fatal.
>
>> Is it possible to run iscsid as part of initrd, before iscsistart is
>> executed?
>
> Transitioning iscsid from the initrd is problematic. Processes started
> in the initrd don't have the right view of the filesystem, aren't in the
> proper security context, etc.  If we kill the initrd started process and
> restart, there's still a time gap.
>
> And iscsistart does not play well with a running iscsid.

You do not really need both a iscsistart and iscsiadm+iscsid. iscsiadm
can log into ibft and fw boot targets too. iscsiadm just does not
support passing in boot values like when you use the dracut root=iscsi:
method. Feel free to add it since it might be easier. You could also
just run iscsiadm to create a tmp record for the target you want and
then just run iscsiadm login command for it.

The only other feature iscsistart has is that it can start up
networking. This is nice for a simple initramfs. dracut based ones like
in RHEL and SLES do not need that since it handles the networking.