Nachricht <8cc15605-cff3-4d6e-adbe-5efc9f8e7...@comcast.net>:

> Nachricht
>> <cah8yc8nhx2r9cfq0gnejaurgsfas8v16dvhv35brnln-ypr...@mail.gmail.com>:
>>
>> [...]
>>> But its not clear to me how to ensure uniqueness when its based on
>>> randomness from the generators.
>>
>> Even with a perfect random generator non-unique values are possible (that's
> why it's random). It's unlikely, but it can happen. The question is whether
> the probability of non-unique values from /dev/urandom is any higher than
> that for values read from /dev/random. One _might_ be able to predict the
> values from /dev/urandom.
>
> In the implementations I know, /dev/random and /dev/urandom are the same
> driver, the only difference is that when you read from /dev/random there's a
> check for the current entropy level.
>
> If you haven't fed enough entropy yet to the driver since startup, and you
> read /dev/urandom, you get a value that isn't sufficiently secure.

Seeing it as a blackbox, you never know when additional entropy will be fed in,
so you MIGHT get a value that isn't sufficiently secure. Only if you are sure
no entropy is fed into the pool, you are likely to guess the next value. I
think only if you have observed a lot of values to deduce the internal state of
the pool, however.

> If you have a properly constructed RNG, as soon as it's been fed enough
> entropy it is secure (at least for the next 2^64 bits or so).  The notion of
> "using up entropy" is not meaningful for a good generator.   See Bruce
> Schneier's "Yarrow" paper for the details.

I don't know that paper (yet). But saying you only need a limited amount of
"good entropy" and then a generator is secure surprises me from what I know so
far.
An attacker knowing the algorithm is required to never detect the internal
state of the generator (which is finite).

Regards,
Ulrich