On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 7:16:48 AM UTC-8, Bobby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding multi-queue in iSCSI. AFAIK, *scsi-mq* has
> been functional in kernel since kernel 3.17. Because earlier,
> the block layer was updated to multi-queue *blk-mq* from single-queue. So
> the current kernel has full-fledged *multi-queues*.
>
> The question is:
>
> How an iSCSI initiator uses multi-queue? Does it mean having multiple
> connections? I would like
> to see where exactly that is achieved in the code, if someone can please
> me give me a hint. Thanks in advance :)
>
> Regards

open-iscsi does not use multi-queue specifically, though all of the block
layer is now converted to using multi-queue. If I understand correctly,
there is no more single-queue, but there is glue that allows existing
single-queue drivers to continue on, mapping their use to multi-queue.
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The only time multi-queue might be useful for open-iscsi to use would be
for MCS -- multiple connections per session. But the implementation of
multi-queue makes using it for MCS problematic. Because each queue is on a
different CPU, open-iscsi would have to coordinate the multiple connections
across multiple CPUs, making things like ensuring correct sequence numbers
difficult.

Hope that helps. I _believe_ there is still an effort to map open-iscsi MCS
to multi-queue, but nobody has tried to actually do it yet that I know of.
The goal, of course, is better throughput using MCS.