On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 9:58:41 PM UTC-7, sonu kumar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I looked into the TODO list of open-iscsi. It is quite old and written
> on July 7th,2011. Do we have any updated version of it?
>
> I am looking for some low hanging tasks to getting started with
> open-iscsi and iscsi. It would be really helpful if somebody helps me
> to figure it out.
>
> Thanks

You don't need to "fix" something to learn about the code.Try tracing an
iscsi login request all the way from the command line to the target. What
happens. How do the "/dev/sd*" discs show up? What does iscsiadm do? What
does iscsid do? What does the kernel do? What does the target do? What do
the commands look like on the wire?

There are a lot of things to improve. The node database is a joke, in that
it's not a database, it's a bunch of files and directories, and it has no
locking and can't handle thousands of targets.

Many of the problems left in open-iscsi are non-trivial, or they would have
been fixed.

Another area you can consider is further migration of duplicated
functionality out of iscsid/iscsiadm and into libopeniscsi. And then
there's adding better error handling, since open-iscsi just punts in such
cases and disconnects/reconnects.

What about adding in multi-queue to the kernel code, or better network
connections with the kernel. Support for network namespaces? What about
zeroconf for initiator/target discovery? Also, open-iscsi has very little
security -- even if you require a login/password to connect, the IO is sent
over the network in the clear. Is there a solution for that?

As I said, many of these problems are non-trivial. But just learning the
code can be done without tackling these larger issues I believe. Those on
this list (including me) would be glad to help you. You will tend to get
more intelligent answers if you ask intelligent questions.