It is one of the first things I tried, I got this exception:

Caused by: org.apache.openjpa.lib.util.ParseException: There was an error
while setting up the configuration plugin option "SynchronizeMappings". The
plugin was of type "org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingTool". Setter
methods for the following plugin properties were not available in that type:
[DropTables]. Possible plugin properties are: [ACTIONS, ACTION_ADD,
ACTION_BUILD_SCHEMA, ACTION_DROP, ACTION_EXPORT, ACTION_IMPORT,
ACTION_REFRESH, ACTION_VALIDATE, DropUnusedComponents, ForeignKeys,
IgnoreErrors, Indexes, MODE_MAPPING, MODE_MAPPING_INIT, MODE_META,
MODE_NONE, MODE_QUERY, MappingWriter, MetaDataFile, PrimaryKeys, ReadSchema,
Repository, SCHEMA_ACTION_NONE, SchemaAction, SchemaGroup, SchemaTool,
SchemaWriter, Sequences].
Ensure that your plugin configuration string uses key values that correspond
to setter methods in the plugin class.
        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.Configurations.configureInstance(Configurations.java:352)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.Configurations.configureInstance(Configurations.java:280)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.kernel.JDBCBrokerFactory.synchronizeMappings(JDBCBrokerFactory.java:153)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.kernel.JDBCBrokerFactory.newBrokerImpl(JDBCBrokerFactory.java:127)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.AbstractBrokerFactory.newBroker(AbstractBrokerFactory.java:164)
        ... 17 more

I also tried different combinations but to no avail...