Kevin,

I use the MappingTool to create the db before I run the test program, so I
don't have to specify any classes (i.e. <class>) in my persistence.xml -
we don't really want to have to specify classes in persistence.xml because
in the real project there are a lot of classes that use OpenJPA and the
development cycle is obviously much shorter if developers don't have to
worry about keeping the list of classes in synch.

Since my code doesn't hang in 100% of the executions, it's obvious that
it's about a race condition - so it may be difficult to reproduce on other
machines.  Based on what I know about OpenJPA, specifying the <class>
element(s) in persistence.xml will cause the enhancer to "touch" only the
specified classes, so I think it's expected that this problem will be much
more difficult (if not impossible) to reproduce in this case.

I use exactly the same Derby and Java versions.

I changed the openjpa.Log as you suggested and I still get the deadlock
(as expected).  The extra info in the log doesn't mean much to me,
unfortunately.  The stack traces in the java dump look much more
interesting, but I don't know enough about OpenJPA to be able to draw any
conclusions.

I'll zip up my test Eclipse project and the Java dump and send them
directly to you - if you don't mind.  It looks like the mailing list
server removes all attachments.
--
Best regards,
Vlad Tatavu

"Kevin Sutter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
09/01/2007 11:01 AM
Please respond to
open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org

open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Deadlock when insert in t1 and find in t2

Vlad,
Using your provided class, testcase, and persistence.xml (I'll try to
append them and see if it works), I can not reproduce your problem.  I
have discovered several other anomolies, but not the one you are
describing.

One item that I did have to modify is to specify the specific <class>
entry in your persistence.xml.  Without this, the automatic SchemaMapping
doesn't kick in.

But, after doing that, whether I use runtime enhancement or static
enhancement, I can not reproduce the problem.  I am using the following
Derby version...

databaseProductName: Apache Derby
databaseProductVersion: 10.2.1.6 - (452058)
driverName: Apache Derby Embedded JDBC Driver
driverVersion: 10.2.1.6 - (452058)

And, my Java version is as follows...

C:\temp\play>java -version
java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build pwi32dev-20061002a
(SR3))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Windows XP x86-32
j9vmwi3223-20061001 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20060915_08260_lHdSMR
JIT  - 20060908_1811_r8
GC   - 20060906_AA)
JCL  - 20061002

You might want to change your trace level so as to get more help with the
problem...

            <property name="openjpa.Log" value="DefaultLevel=TRACE,
SQL=TRACE"/>

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks,
Kevin