I am fairly certain that the only way OpenJPA will ever think that a native (i.e., SQL) query is not a select query is if it doesn't start with "select".

Is it possible that you didn't recompile the class after experimenting with the "quoteForUpdate" @NamedNativeQuery? At some point in the past, did the query string start with "update"?