What do you have in persistence.xml?

It should contain something like this :

<persistence xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence";
   version="1.0">

   <persistence-unit name="teamplay_test">
   . . .
   </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

One thing to watch out for is if you've defined a provider inside the
persistence unit. If that is the case the provider needs to be
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl (assuming you want to
use OpenJPA).

If persistence.xml does contain the persistence unit then I'm not sure what
would cause the problem. Maybe a classpath issue?

-Mike