I stand corrected. From the spec, 2.1:

The entity class must have a no-argconstructor. The entity class may have other constructors as well.
The no-arg constructor must be public or protected.

Adding a protected no-arg constructor if your class is migrating from CMP to EJB 3 seems to be best practice if you want to encourage use of other constructors.

Craig