From: Craig L Russell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: May 4, 2007 4:02 PM
To: open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Hi Phill,

My sense of this community is that they don't want to be restricted in the space
of API implementations that make sense for their pluggable persistence engine.

I would like to hear from other community members on this subject.

If you feel that you want to change your vote and have the community vote on
adding restrictions of their charter in the board resolution, please do follow
up. I'm happy to call another vote on this specific subject prior to asking for
Incubator approval to graduate. Just ask.

On May 4, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Phill Moran wrote:

> Without getting any nastier let me explain.

I don't see any evidence of nasty.

> I see a discontinuity in calling the
> project OpenJPA if in reality the project implements JDO and so forth.

The project is clearly focused now on building a solid implementation of the JPA
API. But I don't see why we would want to require a different community to be
formed to build a different interface.
There are people in this community with broader interests than JPA.

And I'm also concerned that since we are trying to build a diverse community, we
want to be as inclusive as makes sense. Narrowing the board charter won't help
in community building.

Look at Cayenne. No one would tell them not to implement a different API. Their
board charter is as broad as ours.

> If we can separate the engine from the API and make the API
> pluggable/selectable and the project is planning on implementing other
> APIs then a name change seems reasonable as it would not be
> representative of what we are providing.

There are good marketing reasons for calling the project Apache OpenJPA. But
please look at the history of persistence APIs and projects. Which API will be
dominant in 3 years? Still Hibernate? And what if we want to experiment with a
Groovy subset/superset of JPA that might be more appropriate for scripting?

> If we are to go down this path then I would further suggest we
> separate the engine and implementing APIS into separate jars/packages
> as it is wasteful

Already been done. Please look at the package structure. Nothing wasted. And if
we did ship an SDO implementation it could ship with its own dependencies
excluding JPA or including JPA interface. We already publish our artifacts
separately via maven in addition to publishing a fat jar and binary and source
distributions.

> and potentially dangerous to package all implementations together.

Dangerous? Interesting theory.

> That is all this little piece of the community has to say.

I do appreciate your bringing up this issue to make sure we have consensus.

Craig

> Phill

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC