From: Jeffrey E Altman
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2022 5:49 AM
To: Ben Huntsman; Daria Phoebe Brashear
Cc: Benjamin Kaduk; Ken Hornstein; openafs-devel@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] AIX build fails with missing symbol
.krb5_c_make_random_key

On 8/15/2022 2:25 AM, Ben Huntsman
(b...@huntsmans.net<mailto:b...@huntsmans.net>) wrote:
Hi there!
   Ah, that makes some sense.  So presumably there hasn't ever been a
successful build on AIX 6.1 using kerberos.  Is it practical to try to build
without it?

AIX was built with Kerberos 5.   As I said, it was known to work for AIX 6.1
TL5 and OpenAFS 1.6.5.

Somewhere between AIX 6.1 TL5 and TL8 the kernel module stopped functioning
properly and no one ever had the combination of desire, skills, knowledge and
access to AIX systems to figure out why.

The build failures you are experiencing could be for several reasons:

  *   The wrong libraries are being used because of 32-bit vs 64-bit.
     *   How many versions of krb5-config are there?   Are there two, one for
32-bit and the other for 64-bit?
  *   Perhaps krb5_c_make_random_key isn't in the export list for AIX?
  *   Other broken behavior in the configure tests related to AIX.