Derek Harkness wrote:
Correct I'm replicating my home volumes. My solution to not having read-write replication is just releasing the volumes every couple of minutes or whenever they need to be released.

[Sigh] This is not recommended.

But if that isn't possible or not recommended then AFS is really
quite useless for user home directories.

Actually, AFS is really quite usefull for user home directories for a host of reasons you may not be aware of yet. But it doesn't do what you're trying to do in this case.

The whole we're moving to AFS was to offer fully redundant home space, if a server crashed the rw volumes on would go off-line and the users would switch to the read-only copies allowing them to at least read the files.

That would be a good solution if (1) servers were unreliable enough to justify that kind of effort and (2) AFS worked that way. Neither of those things is true.