Stephen Joyce wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

However I'm still getting the following error:
----Open AFS (R) openafs 1.2.13 fsck----
** /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s3
BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M).

We have not seen this, but it sounds like you have much larger partitions.

<snip...>

First, thanks to Doug for the help and the patience.
After re-installing Solaris and AFS, trying different hardware, and
still getting the same behavior, I think I've finally got this solved.

The solution was simple and I feel a bit foolish for not realizing it
earlier: starting with Solaris 9 9/04, UFS logging is enabled by default
on most UFS filesystems.

But either the AFS fsck should check the logging data on the partition or at least tell you logging is not supported on a vice partition. If fsck can't support it the file server should not allow it to be used as a vice partition either, as the last thing you want to have is a corrupted partition full of data and no fsck that can recover.

From http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5770/6ml72d6kd?a=view
        "Logging is now enabled by default for all UFS file systems except
        under the following conditions:

        o When logging is explicitly disabled
        o If insufficient file system space exists for the log

        In previous Solaris releases, you had to enable UFS logging
        manually."

My other servers are Solaris 9 12/03, so they never experienced this
problem.  To turn off logging, specify the "nologging" mount option for the
/vicepX partitions in /etc/vfstab.

Perhaps something to add to the FAQ (or SAQ).

Cheers,
Stephen
--

Is the main reason Santa is so jolly because he knows where all the bad
girls live?

 Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue