Russ Allbery wrote:

Steve Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Looks like we are getting a SAN. Anyone out there using a SAN for your
afs file servers?

Yup, we're using SAN pretty extensively.

Any gotchas out there? My understanding is that the lun looks like an
attached local drive so I can't imagine it won't work.

Not really, no.  As soon as you get the storage available as a drive, AFS
just works fine.

The question is whether its a good use of expensive storage.

If you get more reliability out of SAN disk, then it depends on whether
you put critical data into AFS.  We certainly do, so we've been happy
with the additional reliability we get from our SAN.

I question how best to configure our servers. Currently we have Dell Poweredges with dual controllers attached to split bus disk shelves with ( 10 )36gig drives mirrored to provide (5 )36Gig volumes that we mount as /vicepa /vicepb ; etc. Do we set up one lun as /vicepa and make it say 180 Gig as this would represent the aggregate size of the old disk shelves? Or can I go up to 256/ 512 Gig? I realize this is not something that can be objectively answered (My mileage may vary). I am interested however in how others have configured their file servers and what size they are setting their volumes.

Thanks for your help.
/sd

--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems

301 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra