Hi Kim,

>Hi Ron,

>Guess you're up and running :)

Yup,  had some communication problems between the "old" server and the new box.

>The AFS commands can be run from any AFS client.

Right..  BUT I don't want to just install the AFS client because I don't want
anyone to really have access to that machine.

>AFAIK if a user doesn't have an entry in /etc/passwd they're not able >to log
>in.  PAM may be able to circumvent this, I'm not an expert, but
> suspect if you try using an /etc/passwd with just the permitted login
> users that it will work.

>IOW -- set the machine up as an AFS client, and any of the AFS
>commands can be run from that client.  Trim the /etc/passwd file
> and see if you can still log in as one of the deleted users.

Uhm, ok,  someone else suggested to not do any "pam" stuff..  that way afs
users can simply not use the machine.

I thought that maybe there was some "elegant" way to do what I wanted.

>Kim

thanks,

Ron

Kim (Dexter) Kimball