Todd M. Lewis wrote:

> Unfortunately, the only available "someplace" to turn on encryption is
> on the client. Turning on encryption on a client encrypts all traffic
> bound to that client (most of it unnecessarily). Yet the same data
> passes in the clear if another client accesses it.
>
> It would be a Good Thing if encryption were a per directory thing like
> an ACL, enforced by the server, so you could make sure your sensitive
> information was never passed in the clear.  I have no idea how hard it
> would be to implement an "encrypted directory" flag, but I suspect it
> would mean breaking things. Would this be a reasonable thing to put on
> the wish list?

It is a reasonable thing to add to the wish list.

I want to see an ability to add at the directory, volume and file server
level the ability to specify acceptable security classes and modes.
Today we have:

        none
        rxkad, clear
        rxkad, encrypted

If the client request does not satisfy the security requirements,
an error is returned.

Jeffrey Altman