> Heimdal's "kt_extract" (kadmin command) extracts a key without
> generating a new one.  (This is generally considered a bad thing; I
> could see it being limited to kadmin's "local mode" in the future.)
> Other mechanisms will indeed create a new key.

This last sentence is exactly what I wanted to be certain about. Thanks!

> With heimdal you could use ktutil to copy the newly extracted keytab
> into the KeyFile:
>
> ktutil copy FILE:mykt AFSKEYFILE:KeyFile

So the same procedure as that which was used initially to create the AFS
keyfile still works. This is good to know, too.

> This would still leave all outstanding tokens broken, but "aklog"
> should recover once the KeyFile is back in sync with the KDC.

Well, since this would only be required in case the keytab was out of sync
with AFS KeyFile, I doubt this is something to worry about. Or did I miss
something here?

                | Juha Jäykkä, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        |
                | Laboratory of Theoretical Physics             |
                | Department of Physics, University of Turku    |
                | home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/              |