On Feb 16, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
  thus you won't gain anything by compiling the userland parts with
  gcc. You still need the 'native' compilers.

I could imagine some cases where this would be useful. For example, you
might be using the pre-compiled package for your platform, but want to
recompile some userland tool so you can make a local modification to it.

I never thought of that, since for me building OpenAFS was always a sort of 'all or nothing' game ;-) Even though I wouldn't encourage people to distribute different, modified tools also situated inside and built from the OpenAFS tree.

But ... you're right.

Horst