At 12:13 PM 4/7/2006, Sergio Gelato wrote:
I don't think Rodney was asking for binaries here. I wonder whether he
has noticed that the CVS web interface lets one look up individual
"deltas"?

Yes, I was "replied to" on that very subject last night. It isn't quite as nice as going to "downloads" and looking for the patches for a "released production version", however it does work. But then it requires the end user to basically end up being a developer. Who has the time, money, or capacity to load up a compile environment for a source patch other than developers? But I can sympathize with the fact that OpenAFS.org is a loose knit band of open source coders who believe in the future of AFS and that the capacity to make things super easy for the end user isn't always available. I do however believe that for AFS to survive and prosper issues such as these need to be ironed out. High level managers these days seem to be geared to purchasing solutions rather than "in-house" projects. It is really getting bad as the bean counters can't seem to count the value proposition of open source. In open source projects there is little to compute other than salaries, and we all know that a salary is a "recurring cost", not a "one-time-cost". Most managers would rather spend $40K on a "solution" one time, than spend $60K on a recurring cost warm body.

Rodney