Russ Allbery wrote:
> If you're not using AFSDB records or the kaserver or running a fileserver
> on the DB servers, I don't know that anything in AFS cares about the
> *names* of the machines.  Well, upclient, but that's an obvious fix if
> you're using it.  CellServDB includes the names but mostly is there to
> provide the IP addresses.  If the IP addresses are changing, then yes, you
> have to update everything (or use AFSDB records -- they're a good idea).
> But if you're not changing the IP addresses, I bet nearly everything
> doesn't care and what's left would be happy with CNAMEs.

This is not entirely accurate.  At least in the Windows client
gethostbyname() is performed on the hostname.  The IP address located
in the file is used when the gethostbyname() call fails.

I should also point out that the Windows client when not using
Freelance mode does a very poor job of failing over when the first
vlserver found in the CellServDB is not available and Freelance mode
is not being used.   The Windows client prior to the next set of
releases only makes one attempt to load the root.afs volume due to
the fact that the HardDeadTimeout for RX is greater than the timeout
configured for processing CIFS requests.  Depending on the deployed
clients moving the vlservers could end up being quite painful.

Jeffrey Altman