Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Rodney M Dyer wrote:
>
>> 2.  Apparently with the latest build 1.4.2fc2 the client service will
>> crash on startup.
>>
>> I did not have time to perform any analysis of these problems.  I fixed
>> issue 1 just by making the computername shorter.  Issue 2 was fixed
>> after installing 1.4.1 over 1.4.2fc2 - twice.  The first install over
>> 1.4.2fc2 was done by our help desk.  I personally wouldn't have done it
>> that way, thinking that 1.4.1 installer shouldn't know how to uninstall
>> a later version.  And in fact this causes an issue with the AFS client
>> service not being completely removed.  So I needed to re-install 1.4.1
>> one more time, hoping this problem would clear it up, and it did.
>
> BTW, are you really sure that the problem was with 1.4.2fc2 and not
> 1.4.2-rc1 or 1.4.2-beta3?
>
> The reason I ask is that I introduced a bug in 1.4.2-beta3 and fixed
> it in 1.4.2-rc2 that would cause afsd_service.exe to crash while
> attempting to create the "BackConnectionHostNames" entry in the
> registry.  This bug would only be triggered on new installs.
>
> If there is still a problem I need to know about it.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

I just finished testing 1.4.2fc2 (aka 1-4-2-rc2) on XP SP2 Pro with a
hostname of "vmware-xp-longname.domain" which results in a NETBIOS name
of "VMWARE-XP-LONGN".  AFS then creates its own name of "VMWARE-XP-L-AFS".

I performed a clean install of OpenAFS in this configuration.  The
loopback adapter installed.  The first reboot created a
BackConnectionHostName entry of "AFS".  Accessing AFS was fine.

I then disabled the loopback adapter and rebooted.  This resulted in
the BackConnectionHostName being updated to "AFS VMWARE-XP-L-AFS".
Accessing AFS still works.

I re-enabled the loopback adapter and rebooted.  Again, AFS still works.

If there is a problem here, I am going to need more details to find it.

NOTE: There was a problem with beta3 and rc1.  That was fixed in rc2.
If there is still a problem with rc2, please confirm.

Jeffrey Altman