On Oct 5, 2006, at 9:31 AM, Andrew Bacchi wrote:

I've noticed a large amount of data on two vicep partitions that are not AFS volumes. The data is in a directory tree under /vicep?/AFSIDat/ directory.
totaling over 8G on one server.

Is that directory normally used as a garbage dump for a salvage operation? I would like to recover the space, but first I'd like to know where the data
came from.  Thanks.

Well, if you consider the data in your AFS cell garbage (quite a bit of mine I do), then the AFSIDat directory would best be described as a garbage dump, yes.

However, the AFSIDat directory is where the actual volume contents are stored.

-rob