On Jul 13, 2007, at 16:58, Russ Allbery wrote:

Frank Burkhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'll take the chance to ask everyone about their filesystem preferences
for (namei-) AFS data partitions. I'm especially interested in things
like "I used XYfs but moved to YZfs because of XX". Please write about
non-linux servers filesystem preferences, too.

We use ext3 because it's mainline, supported, and I simply don't trust the
other file systems to have had sufficient real-world testing and
sufficient attention paid to recovery tools.

I care more about file system consistency and reasonable recovery from
hardware and software failure than I do about the last iota of speed.

We used to use XFS on linux as well -- though with the performance differences you have noticed, I'd be interested to see the benchmarks on XFS with/without an fsync'ing volserver & fileserver. Those can be pretty fsync() intensive operations, and that could be where XFS is falling down. We had a couple fileservers that we were running ext3 on for awhile as well, never had any problems with them to complain about.

Right now we're a Solaris/ZFS shop, which isn't without its problems. However, its been amazingly stable/resilient/easy to manage -- which is where I think Linux + whateverfilesystemyoumention falls down. Sometimes that can be just as important as raw performance.

-rob