On Jul 23, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Jesse W. Asher wrote:

Anyone have any real world experience they are willing to share on how AFS compares with current implementations of NFSv4?

I'm doing some research on deploying AFS vs. NFSv4 and trying to understand which might be better at this point in time. Specifically, I'm in interested in the following areas:

1)  WAN performance
2)  Global namespace (transparency of file/directory location)
3)  Caching
4)  Security
   a)  Encryption
   b)  ACLs

I found some discussions in the archives, but the ones I found were old (2003) and I wanted a current perspective.

IMHO the biggest single issue with near-term deployment is the clients. NFSv4 looks like a big improvement, but I can't find things more current than a year back about client status. At that time, the clients didn't look production-ready to me.

That said, I am not close to the NFSv4 effort and could well be out of the loop.

Steve