memcache is much faster than the disk cache. memcache will not get any
better if no one ever uses it so the openafs developers can get some
bug reports.  i think memcache has improved quite a bit (but it could
be better, i need to submit some patches) over the last couple years.

i use '-memcache -chunksize 15 -dcache 1024'. if your system is memory
starved this might be an issue.

I did a whole bunch of testing regarding cache performances while we've been moving all of our users off of AFS-hosted mailspools, and here's what I've found -- this is on Sol 10 x86...

* slowest: disk cache, of course.
* medium: memory cache
* fastest: ufs filesystem on a lofi-mounted "block device" hosted in / tmp (which is in-RAM) (I know this certainly wastes some cpu/memory resources and overhead, but... it works)