David Bear wrote:
> I think this gets beaten every six months, but I wonder if there are
> any current metrix that compare openafs and cifs when working on
> standard 'office' style documents. I'm interested in performance on
>
> first open,
> subsequent open of same file
> save

remember that a subsequent open of the same file is equivalent to a
first open if the file was changed on the file server.

oafw's performance characteristic before 1.5.25 was directory search.
this is much improved in the current release.  however, remember the
following, the current oafw client uses the CIFS client to talk to a
local SMB server that is the AFS cache manager that talks to the AFS
file servers.  Therefore, until the file system redirector re-write is
complete, oafw has all of the overhead of CIFS plus the overhead of AFS.
 Therefore you should make your decision to use AFS on characteristics
other than strict performance measurements.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.