On Nov 28, 2007 3:20 PM, Jerry Normandin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hello
>
>    I'm working on solving an AFS issue that has been a problem at my
> employer before I arrived here.  Performance in general has been poor, much
> slower than NFS. I ran bonnie++ to check this out and apparently read/write
> performance was not bad, it was file creation, deletion and renaming that
> took forever.

What's the underlying filesystem? AFS passes through the semantics of
metadata operations of the underlying filesystem, and ext* for instance is
poor at it.

> Looking further this was do to the fact when transactions like this are
> done, it invalidates the cache, so the filesystem must be reread.  When you
> are in a software development environment this is a problem.  Engineers
> checking out an entire trunk to their AFS home would take FOREVER.  So
> digging further it appears that code Has been added to improve performance.

Yes.

> We are running an old version of AFS.. 1.4.1.   Are there any
> configuration differences between 1.4.1 and 1.5.7?

Lots. Of course, we recommend 1.4.5, and not some random 1.5, especially not
an old one. 1.5.7 is similarly old to 1.4.1.

> Is there a FAQ posted regarding the upgrade?

"Replace the binaries and restart"

> Can I have a mixed environment of versions?

Unless you have pts supergroups enabled, yes, though there is a pending bug
regarding moving volumes between current 1.5.x and 1.4.x.